Friday, September 30, 2011

The Beach!

After my four days of  hard work at the temple, I took the bus out to Bonggli Beach. Erik and I planned to meet up and spend the Sunday before I had to go back to school hanging out and swimming. You can see me about to go back into the water. The tide was crazy that day because there was a big typhoon on it's way. I gave up trying to swim! I never really liked swimming in the ocean anyway.

I don't think this guy likes it either. Actually in the late afternoon the lifeguards were pulling everyone out of the water because the waves were getting too strong, and I don't think they felt like saving anyone.
Erik and I in front of the underwater tomb of King Munmu the Great, the 30th ruler of the Shilla Dynasty. King Munmu is famous for unifying the Three Kingdoms and wanted to be buried in the ocean so he could protect the Shilla from the Japanese. His cremated body is said to have been buried under the rocks or scattered over them. Anyways, we thought it made a nice background for a picture! Check out my awesome Sunmundo T-shirt as well. Too bad I shrunk it when I washed it in hot water =(

Erik and I found a nice motel right on the water. We had to walk like a mile before we found it though. It was nice to listen to the waves in the morning.

The coast is know for raw fish, so we decided to try. Not the biggest fan, but it was ok. I like Japanese sushi better. The restaurants all had tables outside, so we had a nice view of the ocean while we ate.

I didn't get to do the beach thing as often as I would have liked, but we did go again with Jenny. She invited us to Pohang to hang out with her and her family for a day. We stayed at her aunt's house and ate grilled clams. MMMMM they are so good. Much better than raw fish. Here we are looking for a taxi to go to another beach.

I don't remember the name of this beach. We had to take a half hour bus out there though. It was kinda funny because the whole bus was filled with rowdy high school boys....and guess where they went to school... Gumi! Of course there was a kid from Seonsan (Erik's school). So much for a vacation lol. The beach was pretty crowded that day. The Koreans really love those yellow tubes. You can rent them for like 5000 won. You can also rent an umbrella so that you stay nice and white.


Me having a swim.The  water was really nice, and the tide wasn't so strong so you could actually swim. Jenny is texting someone while she debates whether or not she wants to swim.


We decided that it was time for lunch, and Jenny decided she wanted raw fish. This guy is cutting the head off of our fish...while it was still alive =0. It was pretty fresh....

We thought that it would be fun to rent a tube. Erik didn't bring another pair of cloths so he just sat in the tube. He managed not to get himself too wet, and I was nice enough not to tip him over ;)

Jenny's turn!

And finally my turn. Jenny can't swim so she pushed me around while I sat in the tube.

No comments:

Post a Comment