Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gumi in January

Happy New Year!!! Crazy to think it is 2012, and that I have been in Korea for almost a year. Still have a good month and a half before I have to come home, but already staring to pack and look for tickets home. My New Years was fun. Erik and I went out with some friends and saw some fireworks. We have vacation at school so not much going on around there. We just finished an English Winter camp last week so now I have to sit at school and do nothing. My vacation starts on the 19th till the end of the month, so my Sunday morning job is to plan a vacation. I thought I would post a few pictures of Gumi in the winter since I haven't been up to much lately. I need some photos for 2012. The weather has been nice lately so one Friday I walked home from school. There is this little (what I think is) a shrine or temple tucked behind some buildings. I can't read the sign though because it is in Korean

I really just liked the wall. It looks to me like they made it out of old roof tiles and mud.


I was on my way to go for a Saturday hike and I had my camera in my pocket so I took a few shots of some of my favorite things along my way home. I didn't get too many because there were a lot of people out and I try not to draw anymore attention to myself then I already do when I walk down the street. This is my neighbor's house. They would always sit outside on their little deck/platform thing in the summer. They were often eating fruit or some strange meat. Usually they would call me over to eat with them, or give me some fruit to take. They were so surprised that I could eat kimchi, and one of the old ladies ran home to get more haha. If you look down the street (it is kinda hard to see because of the sun) you can see the tofu lady. Like a milk man, they go around to deliver fresh tofu.

This is like  a junk yard or something. I always want to see what is behind the walls, but they are always closed.

A happy bull inviting you to come inside and eat him at this restaurant.

I have been drinking cappuccinos non stop this month. I think I must need more milk or something. I was in the same coffee shop three days in a row because they have the best ones in Gumi. I was drinking this one kinda slow, and the rings around the cup reminded me of rock formations. 

Saturday my friends Ali, Rita, and I went for a late afternoon hike to the waterfall in Geumosan. It was really a beautiful day. This is my ice sculpture.

You can see Rita on the left and Ali taking a picture of me on the right. The three of us have been hanging out a lot lately. They are my Sauna buddies.

I am sad to leave them =(

The mountain looks so different without and leaves and the no water in the river. Can you still call it a river if there is no water in it? I guess there are little puddles everywhere and the waterfall is Frozen.

Two little Korean girls playing in the snow.


The sign says something (probably like don't walk on the ice it is dangerous.)

Cute!

After our hike we grabbed a coffee and waffle at the bottom of the mountain. Then we met up with the boys for dinner at a Galbi place. We had pork ribs. That is Paul, (Ali's boyfriend) pile of bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment