Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Conquering Geumosan!


Even though it has been about a month since Kyle left, I am still behind on my postings of his trip. This is our last big adventure before he left. Geumosan (or Geumo Mt.) is a pretty famous mountain in our province. I was able to take a half day off of school so Kyle and I could try and climb it. The mountain is about 3202 feet tall and is quite the hike for one as out of shape as I am. Here is Kyle running up the path at the foot of the mountain.

Kyle reading the sign about the fortress. You can read more about the fortress in the next picture.

The Goryeo dynasty was about 918-1392 and the Joseon was about 1392 to 1897.


Kyle was looking at this Dragon painting on the ceiling of the fortress entrance.

Here we are taking a break by a small water fall on the way up. The trail is really nice because it follows the stream up the mountain so you can stop anytime to cool your feet off in the water.

Wave to the camera Kyle! It was funny because some Korean guy was yelling at Kyle for wearing a cut off shirt in Korean. We couldn't understand what he was saying, but we could tell what he was getting at lol.


Some Korean hikers taking a break.

Kyle giving a thumbs up about something.

And here is me in my dorky Korean mountain hat as well as some Korean guys with their fancy SLR cameras.

Some of the best mountain water I have had is at Geumo Mt. Almost as good as Argonne water!

Kyle posing with his new friend.


This is Haewoon-sa, a temple in the middle part of the mountain.





Some Buddha statues sitting on the wall outside the temple.

And another dorky hat picture.


Kyle climbing the steep and narrow path up to Doesan Cave.


Our first view from the mountain.



I guess I forgot to take a picture of the cave. Here we are going back down the path.
Can you even call this a path?

Kyle running down to the waterfall after we got back down from the cave.


Lunch time. Here is Kyle eating some Kimbap.

Look at those chopstick skills!

Kyle and a nice view of Gumi in the background.

안녕하세요!

We really didn't know what the trail up to the summit would be like, but not even half way up Kyle is already sweating like crazy and I was nearly dead!


This is what part of the trail looked like. It felt a lot steeper than it looked.

More Gumi!

Break time again!

Here we are almost to the top. We are standing on a helicopter pad. 

Ahhh don't fall off the edge!

O.K. that's better.

I played it safe and sat on the edge instead.
Hi Grandma and Grandpa!

A building at Yaksa temple at the top of the mountain.



Time to make the long trip back down the mountain. It wasn't as bad as going up!

Me cooling my feet in the water after our long hike down. I don't know who that lady is next to me =)

Kyle and I decided to take the cable car the rest of the way down. We are lazy....

Kyle must be thinking hard about his hike!

Cable car coming up as we were going down.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing these incredible shots! I am writing a novel (NaNoWriMo) and my story happens in Gumi, having a relevant bit happening at this temple :D it's helps a lot !! to have clear visuals to describe :D thank you again :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Glad they were helpful. It would be fun to read your novel when it is finished. =)

      Delete